From: "Raúl Porcel" <armin76@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev-announce@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Please stop requesting keywords for arches you don't have
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:24:03
1 Hi guys,
2
3 Since there is always new people joining Gentoo, many of these people
4 tend to open keyword requests for a lot of arches on a package they
5 maintain or they are interested in until me or any other member of
6 alternative arches scream to them :) .
7
8 As a member of many of the alternative
9 arches(alpha/arm/ia64/s390/sh/sparc) and considering the members of the
10 other arches(hppa, mips, ppc*) also concur with me, i'd like to remind
11 that opening such bugs is not fun for us. Why? Simple, we're mainly
12 undermanned arches, some of them are slow, some of them have more basic
13 problems(latest glibc breaks system and stuff), we have a small userbase
14 compared with amd64/x86, and we(i'm talking about my arches now) prefer
15 to keyword something if an user of our arch has tested it(which saves us
16 some work) and it's going to be useful for him or for new users of that
17 arch(for example the ARM architecture).
18
19 If we keyword your package and maybe later stabilize it, you're going to
20 be mad at us when you request a new version marked stable, or when you
21 need rekeywording, because we'll be slow in doing so. Just file bugs
22 when a package is going to be a dependency of a package we already have
23 keyworded.
24
25 Also, *STOP* dropping keywords when a new dependency isn't keyworded
26 without filing a bug for that architecture.
27
28 Thank you