From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] eclass-manpages are now versioned (snapshotted)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 17:57:56
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 With a little delay I would like to announce that the eclass-manpages
4 package is now properly versioned, starting this Tuesday. Most
5 importantly, this means that users will no longer have to periodically
6 rebuild the package in order to get the correct set of manpages --
7 instead, the package will be upgraded in the regular motion.
8
9 The versioned packages use archived snapshots of eclass files. Those who
10 prefer the old mechanism can decide to unmask (via
11 package.accept_keywords) the live ebuild (-9999*).
12
13 While at it, I would like to encourage developers to create new
14 snapshots and bump the package themselves whenever they commit eclass
15 changes that could require updating the documentation. The ready command
16 set is provided in the ebuild. For completeness, I will paste it here:
17
18 mkdir eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d)
19 cp "$(portageq get_repo_path / gentoo)"/eclass/*.eclass eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d)/
20 tar -cf eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d)
21 xz -9e eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar
22 scp eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar.xz dev.gentoo.org:public_html/dist/
23
24 Then copy the ebuild and update your name in SRC_URI ;-).
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny