From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] New mips team initiative: desktop support for the lemote yeeloong netbook
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:08:41
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I'd like to announce a new initiative within the mips arch team. We are
4 now supporting an xfce4-based desktop system for the lemote yeeloong
5 netbook [1]. The images can be found on the gentoo mirrors, under
6 gentoo/experimental/mips/desktop-loongson2f. The installation
7 instructions can be found at ref [2]. The yeeloong netbook is
8 particularly interesting because it only uses "free" hardware, ie.
9 hardware which doesn't require any proprietary code. It is manufactured
10 by Lemote in China [3], and distributed and promoted in the US by
11 "Freedom Included" [4]. It is how Richard Stallman does his computing [5].
12
13 While I'm not sure this is worthy of "subproject" status, it is
14 important for the gentoo community to know that mips devices are
15 currently being manufactured and used in netbooks as well as embedded
16 systems. The gentoo mips team has risen to the challenge of targetting
17 these systems and maintaining natively compiled stage4's for them. Why
18 stage4's? And why a full desktop for the yeeloong? These processors
19 are slow, so the time from a stage3 to a desktop is about three days for
20 the yeeloong. Also, the yeeloong sports a little endian mips64
21 processor, the loongson2f, and we support three ABIs: o32, n32 and n64,
22 with n32 being the preferred. This significantly increases the time to
23 build glibc and some other core packages. I provide two images, a
24 vanilla and a hardened image. The latter adds full hardening (pie, ssp,
25 _FORTIFY_SOURCES=2, bind now, relro) to the toolchain and userland
26 binaries as we do for amd64 and i686 in hardened gentoo. I have not
27 ported over the hardened kernel, however.
28
29 I allude above to "other" targetted devices. I am also maintaining some
30 mips uclibc systems (both hardened and vanilla) which are on the gentoo
31 mirrors under experimental/mips/uclibc. But I will speak more of these
32 later as part of an initiative to maintain hardened uclibc systems on
33 "alternative" architectures such as arm, mips, ppc as well as amd64 and
34 i686.
37 Ref.
38
39 [1] http://www.lemote.com/en/products/Notebook/2010/0310/112.html
40 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/mips/yeeloong.xml
41 [3] http://lemote.com/en/
42 [4] http://freedomincluded.com
43 [5] http://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
46 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
47 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
48 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
49 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
50 GnuPG ID : D0455535