From: Peter Faraday Weller <welp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Retiring
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 07:56:08
1 Hi,
2
3 I've enjoyed my time with Gentoo, mostly... But these days I've just got
4 too demotivated to work on it. I might have stayed if Ken69267 posted me
5 some Lifesavers, but he didn't. :(
6
7 On a more serious note, the problem seems to be the complete lack of
8 management in the required places, Gentoo is fast becoming (or more
9 likely, already is) an anarchic organisation, where it's becoming
10 nigh-on impossible to keep track of things.
11
12 I see a number of issues with Gentoo these days. The lack of a proper
13 leadership body. Lack of people working together in unison. The tree
14 needs to be sorted out: we have >16000 packages, and 200-250 developers,
15 not all of which are ebuild developers) - We're still using CVS, we do
16 *not* have the manpower to keep all the packages updated properly using
17 a centralised VCS. If these issues were fixed, I don't know/care how
18 they do get fixed, but if they were, I might consider coming back.
19
20 If you *really* want me to stay/not retire, and attempt to help fix
21 these issues, then I guess I can do so if enough people request that of
22 me. But I will do so purely in a "managerial" position, and will do no
23 ebuild or other such development.
24
25 I'll still hang around in various channels and so on and so forth.
26
27 Whatever happens, I do apparently maintain a few misc packages, most of
28 which are low maintenance. Various herds will now need a new lead
29 (apologies guys), so that will have to be arranged as well. You will
30 also need to find another slacker to replace me ;)
31
32 If there isn't a mass revolt against my retirement, so long, and thanks
33 for all the fish! Otherwise... We'll see.
34
35 Thanks,
36 welp