From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] New libudev and libgudev virtual
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 19:08:39
1 I sent this mail earlier, but it was denied because of:
2
3 21:52 <antarus> Sat Mar 29 04:37:39 2014 mlmmj-process: access - A mail from "ssuominen@g.o" was denied by rule #12
4 "deny !^Reply-To:" because no header matched.
5
6 That is why you are reading this only now.
7
8 To the point:
9
10 There was a need for two new virtuals since udev has two libraries, each
11 with their own SONAMEs.
12 This is to get the benefits of automatic rebuilds to fix the breakage we
13 saw with libudev.so.0 going away a while ago.
14
15 You can now use:
16
17 virtual/udev (without :=, no libraries)
18 virtual/libgudev:= (with :=, for SONAME of libgudev-1.0.so.x)
19 virtual/libudev:= (with :=, for SONAME of libudev.so.x)
20
21 We have opened a Tracker bug 506034 [1] but this conversion is not time
22 critical, and the virtuals haven't stabilized yet, plus we wanted to fix
23 some (most) of the reverse deps on our own first before bothering with
24 the bugs, as it's usually more time consuming to file bugs than just fix them
25
26 In case you receive such an bug at later date, and you don't want to be
27 bothered about the change, just say so on the bug and the bug will be fixed for you.
28 But it's really straighforward, if your package uses one of the libs,
29 depend on the matching virtual, with the := in the end, otherwise it's virtual/udev
30 you want, without any := since it's not for libraries.
31
32 [1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/506034
33
34 Thanks,