From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] New Project: Hardened musl
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:02:47
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I'd like to announce a new subproject of Hardened Gentoo, Hardened musl
4 [1]. musl is a new C standard library, optimized for embedded systems.
5 It is "lightweight, fast, simple, free, and strives to be correct in the
6 sense of standards-conformance and safety." [2] Like its sister
7 subproject, Hardened uClibc [3], this project focuses on porting both
8 userland and kernel hardening to musl based systems for a variety of
9 architectures, treating musl as a drop in alternative to glibc. The
10 releases are not "embedded" in the sense that most userland utilities
11 are provided by busybox; rather, we make use of coreutils, util-linux,
12 and other typical GNU utilities that you'd find on any regular Gentoo
13 system.
14
15 The release images are stage3 tarballs built using catalyst and our
16 automation scripts [4]. Unlike the uClibc project where most packages
17 "just build", musl's adherence to standards means that many packages
18 need some minor patching. These are kept on our hardened-dev overlay in
19 the musl branch [5].
20
21 This is work in progress. The following table gives a brief summary of
22 the current state of affairs:
23
24 Arch Subarch ABI(s) Flavors Status
25 amd64 Generic default 64-bit hardened/vanilla stage3
26 arm armv7a eabi hardened/vanilla stage3
27 mips mips32r2 o32 vanilla <in progress>
28 mips mipsel3 o32 vanilla stage3
29 x86 i686 default 32-bit vanilla
30 stage3
33 These are available on the mirrors at ${MIRROR}/expiermental/${ARCH}/musl.
36 Contributors:
37 Felix Janda <felix.janda@××××××.de>
40 References:
41 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_musl
42
43 [2] http://www.musl-libc.org/
44
45 [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_uClibc
46
47 [4]
48 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/releng.git;a=tree;f=tools-musl
49
50 [5]
51 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/hardened-dev.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/musl
54 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
55 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
56 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
57 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
58 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA