From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] python-r1/python-single-r1 removing EAPI=4 support on 2015-03-20
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 19:11:23
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 One month from today, on 2015-03-20 we are celebrating the 2.5yr
4 anniversary of EAPI=5 being officially approved. For this occasion,
5 Python team has prepared something special for you. This day we are
6 going to ban support for EAPI=4 in new ebuilds.
7
8 Today I have committed a QA warning to the eclass. One month from now,
9 unless the issue is fixed in all in-tree ebuilds, we are going to add
10 extra logic to prevent using EAPI=4 in new ebuild versions. When
11 the tree is clean of EAPI=4 ebuilds, we will remove EAPI=4 support
12 completely.
15 The rationale is rather simple; the eclass don't work reliably within
16 bounds of PMS in EAPI=4. It is a known issue which resulted
17 in the eclasses originally supporting EAPI=5 only. However, EAPI=4
18 support was added on request of some developers with big fat warning
19 that no package may depend on another Python package using EAPI=4.
20
21 Nevertheless, people are actively doing that, committing packages that
22 violate PMS and cause issues for users of other package managers. This
23 goes as far as to breaking the upgrade path by making it impossible to
24 install the pkgcore package manager for paludis users.
27 The ebuilds currently using EAPI 4 are (based on 2015-02-19 16:36:51
28 rsync tree):
29
30 a. python-r1:
31