From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Qt3 deprecation
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:41:18
1 As Petteri suggested correctly, this needs to be on the g-dev-announce
2 list too.
3
4 -------- Original Message --------
5 Subject: Qt3 deprecation
6 Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:25:24 +0200
7 From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
8 Reply-To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
9 Organization: Gentoo Linux
10 To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
11
12 Dear fellow devs,
13
14 We would like to draw your attention to the fact that the Gentoo Qt team
15 now officially discourages further usage of Qt3. Version 3 is no longer
16 being developed or supported upstream. All users are strongly encouraged
17 to use Qt version 4 where applicable.
18
19 This means that we request that no new Qt3-based packages will be
20 introduced to the portage tree. Also, where there is a choice, Qt4
21 should be preferred over Qt3 by default.
22
23 We will still do some minimal maintenance and support on the existing
24 Qt3 libs and applications for about another 6 months. This will give
25 application maintainers the time to upgrade or look for alternatives.
26 After this period we will move the Qt3 libs and apps along with KDE3
27 into an overlay where users of those legacy packages can maintain them.
28
29 If you have a package for which both Qt3 and Qt4 versions exist, please
30 have the Qt4-based version marked stable (if it isn't already) within
31 the next few months and remove the legacy Qt3-based version, if possible.
32
33 Thanks,
34
35 Ben de Groot