From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] RFC: new project created (chromium)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:40:16
1 It's great news for all of you who like the Chromium web browser
2 project. Today I've created a Gentoo project for it, called "Chromium in
3 Gentoo". See <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/chromium/index.xml>.
4
5 The goals of the project are:
6
7 * to ensure that Chromium-related ebuilds are kept up to date
8 and well integrated with the rest of the Gentoo system
9
10 * to build a community of Gentoo users interested in Chromium
11 development and packaging efforts (testing, bug fixing, feedback)
12
13 * to make Gentoo the best and most friendly platform
14 for Chromium development
15
16 If you'd like to help with these goals, you're welcome to join. If
17 you're not sure what to do, there are always some bugs to squash. ;-)
18
19 It'd also be cool to use less bundled libraries, and make some GNOME
20 dependencies optional, and get even more feedback about what we can improve.
21
22 Upstream is very friendly, and generally all our custom patches land in
23 the following upstream releases, with improved quality.
24
25 Bernard Cafarelli (voyageur), who is also a team member, deserves a
26 large part of the credit for current state of Chromium support in
27 Gentoo. He started the Chromium packaging work in May 2009, and
28 continues to do great work on it, including fixing bugs, bumping the
29 packages, and helping people in the forums. Thanks!
30
31 We've also received a lot of feedback and contributions from other
32 people - users and developers. Now that we have a project page, I hope
33 for an ever stronger community.
34
35 Paweł Hajdan jr