From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Qt3 deprecation and removal policy
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:32:52
1 As announced 5 months ago[1], Gentoo's Qt team now officially
2 deprecates usage of x11-libs/qt:3 and packages depending on this
3 version of Qt. The only supported and maintained version of Qt, both
4 by the upstream developers (Nokia) and the Gentoo Qt Project, is now
5 only version 4 (specifically >=4.5.3). As a result we have decided on
6 a policy and timeline for the removal of qt:3 and ebuilds depending on
7 it. We are dedicated to do anything we reasonably can to make sure
8 that Qt4 versions or equivalents of the remaining Qt3 packages in the
9 portage tree are available. The deprecated ebuilds for qt:3, and
10 packages using it, will remain available in the community-maintained
11 kde-sunset overlay.
14 # Timeline #
15
16 2010-01-01:
17
18 * mark qt:3 as deprecated with ewarn
19 * mask qt3 useflag in profiles
20 * add ewarn to qt3.eclass with link to removal policy
21 * prepare news item about qt:3 deprecation and future removal
22
23 2010-01-21:
24
25 * Qt team meeting: discuss actions to be taken regarding remaining
26 pkgs that use qt:3
27
28 2010-02-21:
29
30 * mask qt:3 and depending ebuilds, pending removal
31
32 2010-03-21:
33
34 * remove qt:3 and depending ebuilds from the tree
35 * remove masks
36 * clean profiles from qt3 remnants
37 * mark qt3.eclass as deprecated pending later removal
40 # Policy for remaining ebuilds depending on qt:3 #
41
42 * if Qt3 optional, remove this option
43 * if Qt4 depending version stable, remove Qt3 depending versions
44 * if Qt4 depending version in testing, mark stable, then remove older versions
45 * if no Qt4 version in tree, get Qt4 version in testing by 2010-01-21
46 and stable by 2010-02-21
47 * if no Qt4 version exists, check for equivalent/replacement packages,
48 and mask by 2010-02-21
49
50 Note: for packages that currently have no version marked stable, the
51 references to stabling Qt4 versions obviously don't apply.
52
53 1: http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev-announce/msg_d851e05567d538b662f34de8dfdb7316.xml
54
55 Cheers,
56 --
57 Ben de Groot
58 Gentoo Linux developer, Gentoo Qt Project lead