From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Gentoo Prefix updates on Linux
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 16:47:12
1 The Gentoo Prefix team is pleased to announce a major update: RAP[1],
2 the libc variant of Prefix (aka. linux-standalone) becomes the default
3 for Linux-based systems.
4
5 This update improves the compatibility and stability of Gentoo Prefix on
6 Linux-based systems. The visible changes are:
7
8 - Gentoo Prefix uses the same repository and the same keywords as
9 Gentoo vanilla. By default, a package should just work on Prefix,
10 otherwise it is a bug to be fixed.
11
12 - Glibc is installed from Gentoo repository into Prefix, screening
13 out bugs or obsoleteness of host libc.
16 Gentoo Prefix is for bringing out the virtues of Gentoo on different
17 operating systems, the Gentoo Prefix project develops and maintains a
18 way of installing Gentoo systems in a non-standard location, designated
19 by a "prefix". Portage serves as a secondary package manager in
20 parallel to that of the host. At present, Gentoo Prefix works on all
21 the Linux distributions tested by the community[2].
22
23 This novel approach of Prefix has been initiated by Ruud (redlizard)
24 Koolen and Benda (heroxbd) Xu since 2012, and was mentored by Luca
25 (lu_zero) Barbato during Google Summer of Code 2013[3]. We would like
26 to thank our fellow developers for their support and input, as well as
27 our testers, including but not limited to xdej, scateu, yangsheng6810,
28 prefixer, R0b0t1, lightbringer, yegle, nanikata, Steven Trogdon, Marko
29 Vendelin, Martin Mokrejš and François Bissey.
32 To find out more and get started, please visit
33
34 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix
37 Cheers,
38 Benda on behalf of Gentoo Prefix team
39
40 1. RAP:= Rap Ain't Prefix
41 2. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prefix/tested
42 3. https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2013/heroxbd/5659014549471232