From: Wes Chow <wes@×××××××××.net>
To: Martin Lesser <gentoo@××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE flag 'daemontools' as an alternative to init.d
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:57:08
1 > But if I understand http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#doc_chap8_sect1
2 > correctly former gentoo distris used daemontools so I would like to know
3 > why gentoo switched away from this really good and stable piece of
4 > software.
5
6 I always thought daemontools sounded nice, but have never tried to
7 actually use it for system services. Actually, there is one thing that
8 I'm not quite sure how it deals with, which is dependencies. For
9 example, under the Gentoo init scripts, you can specify that, the
10 "httpd" service only gets started after the "net" service is up and
11 running. Looking over daemontools, I wasn't able to find any obvious
12 way of doing this. Is there?
13
14 Wes
17 http://www.woahnelly.net/~wes/ OpenPGP key = 0xA5CA6644
18 fingerprint = FDE5 21D8 9D8B 386F 128F DF52 3F52 D582 A5CA 6644
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list