From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:55:11
1 On 07/25/2017 04:05, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > There have been multiple attempts at grasping this but none so far
5 > resulted in something official and indisputable. At the same time, we
6 > end having to point our users at semi-official guides which change
7 > in unpredictable ways.
8 >
9 > Here's the current draft:
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
11 >
12 > The basic idea is that the GLEP provides basic guidelines for using git,
13 > and then we write a proper manual on top of it (right now, all the pages
14 > about it end up as a mix of requirements and a partial git manual).
15 >
16 > What do you think about it? Is there anything else that needs being
17 > covered?
18 >
19 > Copy of the markup for inline comments follows.
20
21 I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but will this GLEP update or replace this
22 existing Wiki article on using git w/ Gentoo?:
23
24 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow
25
26 Some of the step-by-step bits in the above Wiki page look like good candidates
27 to be integrated into the GLEP. It also contains guidelines on writing commit
28 messages, such as limiting the first line to ~50 characters, an optional body
29 wrapped at 75 chars/line, and including the usual git tags for sign-off and
30 such. Though, I like the explicitness of the GLEP's text on a few things more.
33 Joshua Kinard
34 Gentoo/MIPS
35 kumba@g.o
36 6144R/F5C6C943 2015-04-27
37 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
38
39 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
40 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
41
42 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic