From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed Issuetracker via PEST
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:54:03
1 On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:28:28 -0500
2 Joshua Pollak <pardsbane@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > > In summary, usability is far and away the most important thing
5 > > > in a bug tracking/issue tracking system, and a objective analysis
6 > > > is probably in order.
7 >
8 > I agree usability is the most important issue, which is why I thought
9 > PEST was the best solution of the ones I could find. I had not heard of
10 > Roundup, gnats, or rt, but I'll check them out. I think Bugzilla and
11 > Debbugs both have serious usability issues. They are both very confusing
12 > to use and just plain messy and ugly.
13
14 You've never heard of gnats or rt? Wow. What did you find confusing
15 about debbugs? Have you ever used it? Did you look at the URL I
16 provided? I've been a Debian developer for many years (as well
17 as RedHat and other non-Linux) and find debbugs the 'best' of the
18 bug / issue tracking softwares I've used. One of the Debian developers
19 converted it for use with a postgresql database, if that is
20 relevant.
21
22 I still place my votes in (this order): debbugs, roundup. I don't know
23 PEST and I am not a fan of PHP (I prefer real languages like Python
24 and C) -- there's more to life than the web, and it would appear that
25 PEST is web-only. debbugs is mail and web, same as roundup.
26
27 > Perhaps the simplified bugzilla interface is cleaner and easier to use,
28 > but why subject end users to a limited interface when there are systems
29 > out there that are easy to use and powerful, in the same interface?
30
31 I agree here very much.
32
33 > > the things we need to work effectivly. I also think none of the Gentoo
34 > > developers will have problems learning Bugzilla if they set there mind
35 > > to it.
36 >
37 > I have no doubt that is true, but I respectfully disagree that this is
38 > something the Gentoo developers should be spending their time with. A
39 > bug tracking system should be quick and intuitive, not something that
40 > takes a long while to learn, with a complicated interface. At this
41 > point, I think just having a database where bugs/ebuilds/etc can start
42 > being registered is far more important than having an interface that
43 > takes time to learn. I mean, if it takes a while to learn, why would
44 > people bother using, when then can just keep going as they are?
48 Jon Nelson \|/ ____ \|/ Gort,
49 jnelson@××××××××××.com "@'/ ,. \`@" Klaatu
50 C and Python Programmer /_| \__/ |_\ barada
51 Motorcycle Enthusiast \__U_/ nikto.