From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] wiki.gentoo.org
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:26:19
1 On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:05:02PM -0400 or thereabouts, Tom Hosiawa wrote:
2 > It wouldn't be a good idea (wiki) as a replacement for the official
3 > gentoo docs (guide xml), but I think it would be for the forums.
4 >
5 > It's very hard to find anything on the forums since the search is
6 > horrible. But a user wiki would be very good for all the already
7 > existant guides in the forums.
8
9 We're not going to replace the forums with a wiki. They serve two totally
10 different purposes.
11
12 I generally dislike wikis and, while I'm not opposed to supporting one if
13 the need is clear, I'd rather see a different solution to solving the
14 user-contributed documentation problem. GLEP 15 would be one example --
15 that's primarily intended for scripts, but the same sort of idea could be
16 used for user-contributed docs as well.
17
18 At any rate, nothing is going to get done until someone cares enough to
19 write up and submit a GLEP for discussion.
20
21 --kurt