From: "Benedikt Böhm" <hollow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Python problem
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:23:57
1 On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > So I know a bunch of people have already looked at it, and I'd like to
3 > know: what do you find better about the Ruby approach compared to the
4 > Python approach? Is it just the size of python.eclass, or are there a
5 > number of other issues?
6
7 the way python applications are built currently renders all binary
8 packages useless, since portage does not know which version of python
9 it was built against. the explicit selection with RUBY_TARGETS or
10 PHP_TARGETS solves this problem at the small cost of commiting new
11 values to these variables from time to time.