From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Viability of other SCM/version control systems for big repo's
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:09:11
1 On Friday 23 December 2005 22:36, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:33:13 +0100 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | - Checkout time of a full new tree (no load, and with load)
6 >
7 > Do we really care about this? SVN will do really really badly here, but
8 > does it matter?
9
10 Depends on how long it takes. More than half an hour on a fast connection
11 would certainly be quite long. If it gets into 4 hours or more, it becomes a
12 real anoyance.
15 > | - Concurrency performance (how do multiple simultaneous commits and
16 > | updates perform)
17 >
18 > With this one, you've got to bear in mind that SVN will correctly
19 > handle transaction commits, whereas CVS will quite happily let you crap
20 > all over half of someone else's transaction.
21 >
22 > Performance comparisons are only one part of it...
23
24 I know, I should probably have mentioned it. But the proper concurrency
25 support comes at a price. To make a proper decision, we need to know how big
26 the price is. A theoretically perfect solution may very well be practically
27 impossible. At that point it shows that the theory overlooked certain issues
28 that users care about.
29
30 Paul
33 Paul de Vrieze