From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default logger
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:12:14
1 On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 01:47:49PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 September 2005 01:29 pm, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 11:57 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
4 > > > I'd rather see reasons listed as to why syslog-ng is a superior
5 > > > default for users who (most likely) don't care, then "we lack
6 > > > /var/log/messages" :)
7 > >
8 > > Besides the /var/log/messages thing, which I think is a non-argument,
9 > > there is syslog-ng's ability to be usable by anyone. It works great for
10 > > servers, it works great for desktops. It works as a loghost. It works
11 > > for remote logging. Essentially, it has all of the features that users
12 > > would want. It also has all of the features that administrators would
13 > > want. It is flexible and powerful.
14 >
15 > how exactly is this an argument for syslog ? metalog has all these features
16 > (and more) except for remote logging ...
17
18 Additionally, metalog (afaik) won't be depending on glib, like
19 >=syslog-ng 1.9.
20
21 Keep in mind I'm talking only defaults here (iow, use whatever is best
22 for your needs).
23
24 Re: it being a temporary change that should be undone, it's been
25 around long enough I won't call it 'temporary' at this point.
26
27 Merits vs "well, we recommend/did this a while back and were going to
28 reverse it" mainly.
29 ~harring