From: Jeff Davidson <supermonkey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: init script optimizations?
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:50:55
1 Georgi Georgiev <chutz <at> gg3.net> writes:
4 > maillog: 13/10/2004-23:34:35(+0200): Marc Vila types
5 > > I would go with the update-modules tweak, it's really a boost and I
6 > > would say its pretty safe to assume the changes in the script.
7 >
8 > The modtime of a directory changes only if a file is created/deleted in
9 > the directory itself. However, if you simply edit a file you may not
10 > change the modtime of the directory. Try it yourself:
11 >
12 What about a hash of the directory? I haven't investigated the situation much,
13 but I'd have to imagine that a CRC32, md5, or SHA1 (overkill) would be able to
14 detect a file change and still be faster than always running modules-update.
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list