From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating a Gentoo built with Address Sanitizer
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 13:30:19
1 On 7/2/15 9:12 AM, Hanno Böck wrote:
2 > Hi,
5 > Such a system could also be interesting as a high security linux
6 > variant not vulnerable to common buffer overflows and other memory
7 > errors. It is slower, but that may be acceptable. (However it should be
8 > said that right now asan is incompatible with grsecurity - and probably
9 > people who want a high secure linux variant want grsecurity.)
10
11 Its actually PaX that is incompatible with -fsanitize=address because of
12 the shadowing of the address space, so you can still use grsec and the
13 other protections it provides like hardneing of chroots or rbac. Just
14 turn off PaX when configuring the kernel. (Note: pax should be okay with
15 -fsanitize=thread but I haven't tested). I think this is a cool
16 project, but I'm more interested in asan's debugging abilities than a
17 run time tool to stop memory abuses. I like pax's approach where the
18 *kernel* simply doesn't allow certain memory uses, eg, pages are
19 allocated either read+write or read+execute but never write+execute.
20
21 I'd like to play with an amd64 stage3 and see how it asan gets along
22 with the hardened toolchain and hardened kernel.
25 > For now I just wanted to announce that I'm working on this, so people
26 > who care can get in touch with me. I'll probably write a detailed blog
27 > post at some point.
28 > Depending on how much interest there is this may be something Gentoo
29 > wants to consider as an official project and publish official stage
30 > tarballs.
31 >
32 > cu, Hanno
36 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
37 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
38 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
39 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
40 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA