From: Matthew Kennedy <mbkennedy@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] best practices for java ebuilds
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 12:34:47
1 At the momemt I am creating ebuilds for my favoutite stuff. When
2 packaging Java packages though, should I compile them from source
3 always? I noticed Ant (dev-java/ant) is an example such a package. It
4 seems to me, that there is little point in compiling most Java items if
5 a binary is already available in a timely and reliable manner (meaning a
6 binary build comes out at the approximate same time the new source
7 release does).
8
9 So might this be the rule of thumb: If some Java application/binary is
10 already available from the authors site in both binary and source form,
11 and the author provides a binary build frequently and reliably, then use
12 the binary from the ebuild?
13
14 Thanks,
15