From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Making backwards-incompatible tree changes | a solution for GLEP 55's problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 07:14:17
1 On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 08:46:10PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > At least an initial read suggests that you just multiplied the mirror
4 > > space requirements by however many times you use this trick.  I don't
5 > > believe infra's going to go for that.
8 > Yup - and everybody needs to mirror all the BINDISTs using all those
9 > older trees. I don't think this is a good option all-around.
10 >
11 > For most changes, honestly, I think the cleanest option is to use
12 > binary packages. If you build a generic set of @system binary
13 > packages then you can emerge -K them and get a bootstrappable system
14 > no matter how out-of-date you are. Then you can do an emerge -uDN
15 > world, or maybe just an emerge -e world.
16 >
17 > The only real gotcha is if portage is so old that it can't handle the
18 > binary packages. However, to get around that we really just need a
19 > set of step-wise binary updates for portage itself so that you can
20 > sequence it up to something that can install the rest. That will work
21 > as long as portage doesn't strictly need a newer dependency. If it
22 > needs a newer python or something then we might need to keep a binary
23 > package of that lying around - maybe statically linked so that it
24 > doesn't go further than a few packages.
25 >
26 > Something like that really just needs a few tarballs and then an
27 > up-to-date set of binary stage3 packages. The binary packages could
28 > be built at the same time the stage3s are made. And, this is really
29 > just a contingency plan so we don't need to mirror all that stuff - we
30 > could even just make it torrent-only or something.
31
32 Binary packages are useful, but you can't consider them a true fix to our
33 problem. In 2011, having to do all this manual work just to keep a system
34 running seems wrong. Especially when there are other solutions that would allow
35 you to avoid all that.
36
37 Implementing something like my proposal would save a lot of systems with
38 minimal cost and make Gentoo more reliable in the public (and corporate) eye.
39
40 > Or we could do what was proposed in the past and say 1 year and you're
41 > done. That slows us down a little, but has zero overhead.
42
43 IMHO, waiting for a year to push a serious change is unacceptable. We're a
44 bleeding edge meta-distro, I'm sure we can do better ;)
47 Alex Alexander | wired
48 + Gentoo Linux Developer
49 ++ www.linuxized.com