From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Actions of python team, especially Arfrever wrt python eclass and python-3*
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 13:52:12
1 Am 06.06.2010 15:35, schrieb Domen Kožar:
2 > On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 14:41 +0200, Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 >> Am 06.06.2010 13:50, schrieb Domen Kožar:
4 >>>> And if you add a python slot or remove one, portage currently is not able to see that and to
5 >>>> reinstall packages, which had modules installed for that slot. You need another tool
6 >>>> (python-updater) to check that and to call the needed reinstalls.
7 >>>
8 >>> I agree with this fact, user should not be required to read additional
9 >>> documenation for portage to function as wanted.
10 >>>
11 >>> I'm very unfamiliar with inner workings of portage, but using
12 >>> python-updater implementation, USE_PYTHON behaviour shouldn't be that
13 >>> hard to implement?
14 >>
15 >> You want some additional switch to portage, which does the work of python-updater? That would just
16 >> move the code, but would still have the same limitations. What does speak against explicit user
17 >> control for optional features/slots, including dependency handling by the package manager like in my
18 >> proposal?
21 > Maybe I expressed myself wrong. Portage would only reuse python-updater
22 > to detect and repair changes with python installation.
23 >
24 > If I understand correctly, one solution would be to pull stable 2.x, and
25 > only install other slots according to USE_PYTHON.
28 And how would that improve the current implementation?
29
30 If you only reuse python-updater code inside portage, the issues of the current implementation still
31 remain. And you dont seem to answer my question.
32
33 Why dont you want to allow the user to control *per package*, for which slots it should be installed?
34 And why dont you want to allow the package manager to mangle the dependency part with already
35 existing code ( USE flags and --newuse, dependency tree and --depclean)?
39 Thomas Sachau
40
41 Gentoo Linux Developer