From: Luke Graham <luke@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] lack of text editor in / mount point
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:41:53
1 On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:16 pm, Miguel S Filipe wrote:
2 > Well, the subject says it all .. we have no editor in the / mount point
3 > if /usr is not present.. (like my case)
4 >
5 > while booting a 2.5.x kernel, i was unable to mount /opt, /usr, /home,
6 > /var/tmp, etc..etc.etc... since they were all in lvm. and this also
7 > happened once when for no apparent reason my boot sequence got messed up
8 > and everything aborted...
9 > in such cases the need for a text editor is urged.. normally correcting
10 > the situation might depend on it...
11 > so..i think we(gentoo) should have a minimal editor in / in case that
12 > something goes wrong, some editor like e3, nano, vi, joe, I dunno,
13 > something that can edit files and preferably small..
14 > I vote for e3 since is minimal and has several key bindings.
15
16 or you could just copy it there yourself and put something in the gentoo lvm
17 faq along those lines...
20 luke
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list