From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage: missing pieces
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:31:07
1 Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > > Try reading the bug - users are basically being shoved off with an
3 > > arrogant silence and a stamp on their forehead saying INVALID.
4 > >
5 > > Nothing personal against Jakub Moc who probably has a lot to do, but
6 > > the handling of relevant issues raised in the bugzilla is just
7 > > unacceptable.
8 >
9 > Dependency on a particular gcc version will solve exactly nothing.
10 > Having that version installed doesn't mean you are really *using* it.
11 > You won't be automagically switched to 3.4.x when upgrading from 3.3.x,
12 > you won't be automatically switched to gcc 4.x when upgrading from 3.4.x
13
14 Yes ok. So the user has to both merge the new version, and switch to it.
15
16 Either way, the end user is not getting told what should be done,
17 instead Portage just breaks, which is exactly what all the complaints
18 are about.
19
20 > How about the you finally upgrade your outdated gcc, as asked over and
21 > over again? gcc-3.3.x is dead, unsupported upstream, we won't be fixing
22 > any bugs there. Hard to understand? Apparently, I guess...
23
24 I've never been told so, I have no clue what you are talking about.
25
26 > Thanks for your rant.
27
28 What kind of reply do you expect to get from such crap?
29 Thanks for being an asshole?
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list