From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: zmedico@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] HDEPEND (host dependencies for cross-compilation) for EAPI 5?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 23:01:55
1 On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:58:49 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/31/2012 02:40 PM, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
5 > > I like this as well.
6 > > However, since we're going to introduce a *DEPEND split, how about
7 > > splitting PDEPEND as well?
8 > >
9 > > As far as I've seen, PDEPEND has two (or more?) different meanings:
10 > > - advisory (for instance, informing users about plugins)
11 > > - cycle-breaking to help the dependency solver
12 > >
13 > > Would it be possible to add support for ODEPEND (as in "optional"
14 > > dependencies -- I don't really care about the variable name) as
15 > > well? This would be quite beneficial under certain circumstances.
16 > > One of these is when ebuilds are shipped with PDEPENDs which are
17 > > not required at runtime nor for cycle-breaking...
18 > >
19 > > Another scenario in where ODEPEND would be nice to have is with
20 > > systemd init files pulled in by USE=systemd (and generally use? (
21 > > sys-apps/systemd ) in *DEPEND). Providing full systemd support for
22 > > all the packages without forcing users to have it installed, given
23 > > that openrc is the de-facto standard init system in Gentoo (and we
24 > > don't have any openrc? ( sys-apps/openrc )), would be a nice
25 > > features for binpkg repos. Users could then choose to enable or
26 > > disable ODEPEND during dependencies calculation via make.conf or
27 > > argv.
28 > >
29 > > I don't want to diverge too much from the HDEPEND discussion, but I
30 > > think that if we're going to split *DEPEND, it might be a good
31 > > opportunity to do it right _once_ and _for all_.
32 >
33 > For optional dependencies, I'm pretty happy with the
34 > "runtime-switchable USE flags" proposal:
35 >
36 > https://gist.github.com/2945569
37
38 The canonical URI is: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0062.html