From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-dev-announce list
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:20:07
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On 6/25/06, Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3 >> This topic has come up in the past, and I'd like to revive it once
4 >> again. The gentoo-dev list has gotten a lower and lower signal to noise
5 >> ratio over the past year or two, and it's difficult to dig out the stuff
6 >> that's truly required reading.
7 >
8 > What's noise to you is signal to others. For example, my interest is
9 > servers, so all of your X.org posts are mostly noise to me, but to
10 > others it's essential signal. Same goes for the scientific re-org
11 > recently discussed. And I'm sure the same goes for PHP & webapp
12 > stuff.
13
14 Exactly. More stuff you don't care about is more noise. I agree with
15 that too. Rather than reading 50 posts about X crap, wouldn't you rather
16 just look at a single announcement?
17
18 >> I propose that all need-to-know announcements and decisions be posted to
19 >> a separate, moderated (or restricted posting) gentoo-dev-announce list
20 >> to ensure that no developers lose track of what really matters.
21 >
22 > I think a -dev-announce ML is a good idea, with reply-to set to -dev.
23 > But I also think you're over-exaggerating the situation by a long way,
24 > sorry.
25
26 I'm glad you have your opinion. I don't have the time to sit and browse
27 through all the arguments between 2-3 people that go on for 50-100 posts
28 or more as they fall more and more off-topic, so I would like to know if
29 there's any conclusion without wasting my time on that.
30
31 My options are either missing important announcements or creating this
32 list. I would prefer the list.
33
34 Thanks,
35 Donnie