From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 04:20:54
1 On Tuesday 09 March 2004 13:00, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > Next I'll look at USERLAND. As far as I know, it's not possible to run a
4 > > gnu USERLAND on anything other than a glibc LIBC. Conversely, a bsd
5 > > USERLAND cannot run on a glibc LIBC. I can only imagine very rare
6 > > circumstances where a LIBC would support multiple USERLANDs and an
7 > > application would care what specific USERLAND it is. To this end, the
8 > > USERLAND can be dropped and rolled into LIBC if it is ever required. This
9 > > leaves:
10 >
11 > not true
12 > 1) see http://www.debian.org/ports/netbsd/index
13 > this is GNU/netbsd debian port meaning they ported the gnu userland/libc
14 > to the netbsd kernel, we have similar intentions
15
16 These I accounted for in the permutations below.
17
18 > 2) "bsd userland" and "bsd libc" mean nothing since there are 3 major
19 > (and very distinct) sets of bsd userland/libc's (and others not worth
20 > mentioning)
21
22 I never mentioned a "bsd libc" and took "bsd userland" from the examples given
23 in the GLEP.
24
25 > > I'll just put forward the permutations of these that I am aware of and
26 > > leave them for later discussion:
27 > >
28 > > linux-glibc, selinux-glibc, freebsd-glibc, netbsd-glibc, openbsd-openbsd,
29 > > freebsd-freebsd, netbsd-netbsd, maxosx-macosx.
30 >
31 > erm, we are trying to do something more like
32 > linux-glibc-gnu, linux-bsdlibc-bsd, fbsd-fbsd-fbsd, fbsd-glibc-gnu, and
33 > so on
34
35 If you drop the kernel from your examples, the libc and the userland always go
36 hand in hand. This is the point I was trying to make. I'm sure that there is
37 the possibility of a situation like linux-fbsdlibc-obsd but the fbsdlibc-obsd
38 part could be rolled into one.
39
40 Regards,
41 Jason Stubbs