From: Renat Lumpau <rl03@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union + suggestion for global dev conference (at bottom, if you want to skip)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 02:40:34
1 On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 08:55:52PM -0500, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 >
4 > >> __Problem: CVS__
5 > >>
6 > >> CVS is one of the worst application ever created.
7 > >
8 > > Hear, hear.
9 > >
10 > > I'd like to see a move to Subversion made a priority for 2006. If there
11 > > are problems with Subversion's performance with our tree, engage with
12 > > its authors to obtain improvements. But get it done.
13 >
14 > Here's an idea I had tonight. Since we're going to be doing the Google
15 > SoC this summer, perhaps a great project would be having someone work on
16 > this migration (or at least do an unbiased test implementation). I'd be
17 > willing to provide an infra server for testing/development. I don't see
18 > much problem at least trying to work out all the details. I don't think
19 > infra will go with any change unless there is a clear, detailed
20 > migration plan with proper back-out plans also. The tree is the most
21 > important part of our distribution and I'm not going to let such a
22 > migration go by without proper planning and testing. After the test
23 > implementation is done and has been fully tested, perhaps the council
24 > could make the final decision if infra is happy with the
25 > implementation/migration details.
26
27 It looks like if/when implemented, GLEP 44 (Manifest2) will significantly reduce
28 the number of small files in the tree. Whoever ends up doing the initial
29 benchmarking and testing should probably keep this in mind.
32 Renat Lumpau all things web-apps
33 C6A838DA 04AF B5EE 17CB 1000 DDA5 D3FC 1338 ADC2 C6A8 38DA
34 America - land of the free*
35 *Void where prohibited, restrictions apply. Cash value 1/100c.