From: zorry@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: media-libs/x265/
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 21:52:46
1 tisdag 26 maj 2020 kl. 19:54:51 CEST skrev Alexis Ballier:
2 > On Tue, 26 May 2020 10:45:39 -0400
3 >
4 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > Note that having the 'pic' useflag should be considered something
6 > > > to be fixed: rewrite the asm in a PIC way. But these days nobody
7 > > > has the will to do it since this is mostly an issue on x86+pax,
8 > > > both being slowly decreasing.
9 > >
10 > > Given that PaX has been stripped out of official Gentoo kernels due to
11 > > the grsecurity licensing issue, I wonder if there is any other good
12 > > reason to keep the "pic" USE flag today. Surely this affects a very
13 > > small population of users.
14 >
15 > Yeah that was my thought when I saw pax/grsec beginning to be more
16 > hostile to open source. That's not my call but the hardened team's,
17 > however I'm all for removing these workarounds entirely if there's no
18 > point in having them anymore.
19 Is not only PaX/Grsec that don't allow textrel. SELinux do it to and that is
20 manline kernel.