From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] Official support for migrating ebuilds out of games.eclass
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 11:10:53
1 On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:54 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Do teams hold any authority (or veto power, whatever you want to call
4 > it) over their own ebuilds? Is it reasonable to rip functionality out
5 > from under a group of developers and tell them to deal with it?
6
7 Generally speaking, yes. If somebody has an issue with a project's
8 policies they should try to work it out with the project lead, and
9 failing that with the council. In this particular case the Council
10 has issued decisions, and these override all projects.
11
12 > I think teams deserve autonomy over their own ebuilds, and should
13 > ideally follow QA guidelines *where reasonable*.
14
15 QA is a special project (as is Comrel). They do not require the
16 approval of other projects to take action. If somebody has a concern
17 with their actions they may be appealed to the Council. The Council
18 can of course decide on whether QA is acting reasonably.
19
20 We can't just let any project in Gentoo decide what is or isn't
21 reasonable with finality. Any developer can start a Gentoo project
22 (that's a good thing), and we'd have chaos if they all could just hold
23 ultimate veto on what goes into their part of the tree.
24
25 If you want ultimate veto over what goes in, just do your work in an
26 overlay. Nobody will even have the access to touch your stuff.
27
28 For the most part we try to be hands-off with this stuff and when you
29 look at the months it took leading up to the Council decisions on the
30 games issues, it is fairly obvious that we didn't want to meddle more
31 than absolutely necessary. For the most part the changes just make
32 games like any other package, which is a fairly conservative change.
33 If somebody wanted to install all text editors into /usr/texteditors/
34 I'm sure we'd have ended up having the same discussion at some point.
35
36 Don't get me wrong - if somebody comes up with a reasonable way to let
37 users control where packages get installed I'm all for it. I see that
38 use case as having validity, and beyond games as well.
39
40 Certainly you could install games in a prefix-like environment as you
41 suggested. Gentoo Prefix should certainly work on Gentoo.
44 Rich