From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:04:39
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 05:00:39PM +0800, Michael Kohl wrote:
> Also it maybe would be a nice thing to have a switch for this script to > automatically submit all packages which it finds where installed using > ~ARCH as "emerged sucessfully" (which I suppose they were if they land > in /var/db/pkg). This way it would be possible to set it up as a cronjob > so people (who are generally lazy from my experience) wouldn't have to > rate each package individually. Althoug this information is not quite as > good as "the full thing" but somehow I doubt all this people would be > running gentoo-stats if they had to do more then set up the crontab > once...
You have several valid points. I agree that people are lazy and they would probably not run gentoo-stats if it wasn't croned. Although I don't see the need of a script that would check for if a package was emerged correctly. This could as well be done by emerge when it detects it is installing an ~ARCH package. This way you don't have to wonder if it's a 'current' package or not. Heck, you could use the same mechanism for reporting 'stable' packages when they fail. However, a successful emerge is only one of the critieria for an unstable package to move to stable. It not crashing runtime is another... Actually, the more I think of it, the whole point is moot... might be a good idea, but why not replace it with If I submit a stat report which tells me that I have the latest version of a package installed, you could assume that it works for me. If not, I'd post a bugreport. And if I couldn't be arsed to set up gentoo-stats and post bugs about things that doesn't work, why would I use anyway? Please, don't see this as an attack on, just trying to see it in another perspective... And I probably missed something in that generalization...