From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help w/Install
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:41:18
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 06:30:56PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > : > The unmapped cdrom is recognized as fd0. There is no /dev/floppy.
5 > : true, just my alias under devfs
6 > :
7 > : > However, this is only to boot. Once the kernel starts up the cdrom will
8 > : > be probed and recognized as /dev/hdc. If I have the usb floppy
9 > : > attached, that will be proved and recognized as usb mass storage device
10 > : > /dev/sdb.
11 > : Sounds strange, I will make a linuxrc that scans /dev/fd0, hope that
12 > : works if you don't add any kernel
13 > : options.
14 >
15 > Well, I will need to add ide1=0x180,0x386. Will that hose things on
16 > your end? Or will it not be necessary since I'm booting off the floppy
17 > and fetching over the wire?
18 >
19 I focus on both possibilities right now.
20
21 If we use tomstbr, it seems that using reiserfs requires splitting the
22 partiton first and install
23 sys.tbz2 in a second small temporary ext2 partition. The from this
24 partition sys can be installed
25 on the firts reiserfs partition. after that you can drop the secod and
26 extend the first partition.
27 Not so nice moethod.
28
29 The alternative is to get this iso working an and use it as a rescue
30 system. At the moment linuxrc scans
31 /dev/hd[a-d] /dev/scd[0-1]. I'm planing to replace it with a devfs
32 version then I must only scan /dev/cdrom/*.
33 I attached a special linuxrc that only scans /dev/fd0, /dev/hdc and
34 /dev/hde additionally it outputs all kernel
35 messages to the console. Additionally it does not test if a version file
36 exists on the cd. Make sure that the devices exist on the boot-floppy.
37
38 achim~
39
40 > Is it feasible to make linuxrc look for a gentoo boot disk on /dev/hdb,
41 > /dev/hde, /dev/hdf, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc? My guess is that as more
42 > and more people start using Gentoo, we'll run into more and more users
43 > that have laptop hardware.
44 >
45 > : BTW: is there a mkreiserfs on tomstbr? If not I'll upload a statically
46 > : linked version too.
47 >
48 > Just checked, there is on reiserfs support on tomstbr. It's using a
49 > 2.0.38 kernel. So, I guess a statically linked mkreiserfs would be
50 > nice, but wouldn't be any help. 8(
51 >
52 > --Jerry
53 >
54 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
55 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
56 > email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
57 > || than that!
60 > gentoo-dev mailing list
61 > gentoo-dev@g.o