From: Rafer@×××.de
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hurricane Rita Evacuation (fwd)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:12:22
1 On Friday 23 September 2005 19:38, Deedra Waters wrote:
2 > Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:46:38 -0500
3 > From: Jason Huebel <jhuebel@×××××.com>
4 > To: dmwaters@g.o, kingtaco@g.o
5 > Subject: Hurricane Rita Evacuation
6 >
7 > I just wanted to give you guys an update on our status with our
8 > evacuation for Hurricane Rita.  If you could forward this to the
9 > Gentoo mailing lists (the public lists are okay, too), I would
10 > appreciate it.  I'm accessing the internet from a Windows 98 (bleck)
11 > computer using Juno (double bleck) as an ISP.  So Gmail isn't fully
12 > supported on IE5 and won't allow me to send email out as
13 > jhuebel@g.o.  Downloading Firefox would be utterly painful on
14 > this slow dialup link, so I haven't bothered with that.  That and this
15 > isn't my computer, so I don't have permission to change anything. :-)
16 >
17 > Anyway, our status... We've evacuated from our home in Orange, TX,
18 > which is about 25 miles northeast of where the hurricane is expected
19 > to make landfall.  My parent's and my sister's homes are directly in
20 > the path of the hurricane, in Port Arthur, TX.  At the time of this
21 > writing, the hurricane /may/ drop to a category 2 when it hits the
22 > coast.  But that will do little to help the areas to the east and
23 > northeast of the hurricane's path (basically, the area where my house
24 > is).  The storm surge alone will likely wipe out my parents' and my
25 > sister's houses.  Our house probably won't withstand the winds, since
26 > we're in a manufactured home.  That being the case, we fully expect to
27 > be homeless by this time tomorrow.
28 >
29 > Thankfully, we've evacuated far enough north that we'll probably only
30 > have to deal with high winds.  We're staying with my wife's aunt and
31 > uncle in Anacoco, Louisiana.  We're sharing a one-bedroom house with
32 > (last count) 13 people.  So things are going to be a little cramped
33 > tonight as we ride out the weakening hurricane.  We expect to see
34 > winds where we are staying of approximately 75 mph, with rainfall in
35 > the range of 10 to 15 inches over a 24 hour period. There rainfall
36 > isn't of much concern, since this area of the country commonly sees
37 > heavy rainfall of this kind.  The wind is an issue, though.  We've
38 > boarded up the eastern and southeastern sides of the house to protect
39 > against the wind, so I think we're about as prepared as we can be.
40 >
41 > We would have gone further north, but when we evacuated the hurricane
42 > wasn't expected to come this far east.  By the time it became apparent
43 > that the hurricane was coming closer than expected, roads were
44 > completely clogged and there was little chance we would get much
45 > further way.  It made more sense to stay in a solid home than to be
46 > out on the road or staying in a travel trailer at some campground.
47 >
48 > Provided we still have phones tomorrow, I'll send an update.  I hope
49 > everyone else who might be effected by the hurricane made it out
50 > safely and we'll see you on the other side of this thing.  If you
51 > don't hear from us tomorrow, don't be too concerned.  I expect we'll
52 > be very busy with cleanup on Saturday and Sunday here in Anacoco, LA.
53 > Then early next week we'll be heading back to our home in Orange, TX
54 > to survey the damage, begin the long insurance process, etc.  I doubt
55 > we'll have access to phones or the internet while we're there.
56 >
57 > --
58 > Jason Huebel
59 > jhuebel@×××××.com
60 > --
61 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
62
63 I Will Create a Lyric for you.... i Hope youre and your friends are safe.
64
65 (sorry for my poor english )
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list