From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Requiring gentoo.git committers to use their @gentoo.org address
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 10:29:35
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 09.07.2018 kell 10:40, kirjutas Michał Górny:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > We currently don't enforce any particular standard for e-mail
5 > addresses
6 > for developers committing to gentoo.git. FWICS, the majority of
7 > developers is using their @gentoo.org e-mail addresses. However, a
8 > few
9 > developers are using some other addresses.
10 >
11 > Using non-@g.o e-mail addresses generally causes problems
12 > in accounting for commits. For example, our retirement scripts can't
13 > detect commits made using non-Gentoo e-mail address. My dev-timeline
14 > scripts [1] account for all emails in LDAP (which doesn't cover all
15 > addresses developers use). FWIK gkeys accounts for all addresses
16 > in the OpenPGP key UIDs. In my opinion, that's a lot of hoops to
17 > jump
18 > through to workaround bad practice.
19 >
20 > Therefore, I'd like to start enforcing (at the level of the hook
21 > verifying signatures) that all commits made to gentoo.git (and other
22 > repositories requiring dev signatures) are made using @gentoo.org e-
23 > mail
24 > address (for committer field).
25 >
26 > Is anyone opposed to that? Does anyone know of a valid reason to use
27 > non-@g.o address when committing?
28
29 As long as that doesn't imply authorship, which seems to be as planned
30 (for committer field only, as you said). Hopefully it's easy for people
31 to set it up so that it uses gentoo address for committer and something
32 else for author, albeit I don't see any config for it, but should be
33 able to at least go via a script that uses the appropriate env vars.
34
35 That's then for work computers where the Gentoo developer is doing work
36 necessary for his/her employer, on employers paid time. Appropriate
37 then to have their work e-mail as author, especially if employer
38 rightfully requests that to be used for authorship. But yeah, committer
39 field should be fine, they can do author with one address, committer
40 with Gentoo address.
41
42 The only issue I see is that of slight complications on handling the
43 different addresses for author and commit, that's all that comes to
44 mind.
47 Mart