From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Relicensing sys-freebsd/* under the BSD-2 license
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:20:47
1 On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On 03/30/12 14:47, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >> I fail to understand what the license of the ebuild has to do with the
4 >> license of the package itself.
5 >
6 > It has nothing to do with the license of the package. That is completely
7 > separate. This has to do with the license of the ebuild itself.
8 >
9 > FreeBSD Ports inspired Daniel Robbins to create Portage. The issue that
10 > is our ability to share FreeBSD-specific improvements between ebuilds in
11 > portage and Makefiles in FreeBSD ports.
12 >
13 > The issues that are similar for both. Collaboration on FreeBSD-specific
14 > things in sys-freebsd/* would make life easier for both portage ebuild
15 > maintainers and FreeBSD port maintainers.
18 I doubt you can get the content "re-licensed" under a different
19 license. You may be able to convince folks to add an additional
20 license (|| (GPL-2 BSD-2)). That way Gentoo keeps its GPL-2 and
21 freebsd can have the code as BSD-2.
22
23 -A