From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *DEPEND mismatches
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:00:23
1 On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 02:03:32PM -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > Are we forbidden from DEPEND=RDEPEND...? I only ask because 90% of the
3 > dev-perl portions would fall into that category - if it's an rdepend, it can
4 > be a depend as well (technically you can build without most of the underlying
5 > rdepends, but you will get warnings from perl that prereqs weren't met). And
6 > if so, which is preferred - globbing the list in rdepend and having
7 > depend=rdepend, or globbing it in depend and having rdepend=depend? Thanks :)
8
9 It doesn't matter if you first populate DEPEND and then assign it to
10 RDEPEND or the other way round. That's totally up to you. But it is
11 easier, if you have more packages being RDEPEND-only to start with
12 DEPEND="..." and then assign RDEPEND="${DEPEND} ..."
13
14 To explain some background. Current portage automatically sets RDEPEND
15 to DEPEND, if RDEPEND is not set by the ebuild. This behaviour will
16 change in the future. That means all ebuilds need to set DEPEND *and*
17 RDEPEND, even if they just do RDEPEND="${DEPEND}" after setting DEPEND.
18 I'll send a separate email on this issue.
19
20 I prefer to have DEPEND and RDEPEND as fine grained as possible. As I
21 wrote, current portage forces both DEPEND and RDEPEND to be installed
22 for normal merges. This is broken behaviour and will change too.
23 Packages being only in DEPEND will be removed when running depclean. If
24 you use a system just for package building, why do you want to install
25 all runtime-only dependencies? Why do you want buildtime-only
26 dependencies, when merging binary packages? Why do you want
27 buildtime-only dependencies for already installed packages? That are the
28 points why *DEPEND should be fine grained as possible. This mismatch
29 check is done to catch runtime-dependencies being in DEPEND but missing
30 in RDEPEND and the other way round.
31
32 Sven
35 SVen Wegener