From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-firmware/iwl1000-ucode
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:59:48
1 On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 1:06 AM Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > On 2019/11/15 21:35, Matt Turner wrote:
6 > > On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 2:20 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
7 > >> The package is somewhat redundant, because sys-kernel/linux-firmware
8 > >> installs the same files. (Same for all other sys-firmware/iwl*-ucode
9 > >> packages.)
10 > > Should last-rite all of them, IMO.
11 > >
12 > I both agree and disagree with this. It's the simpler solution and
13 > therefore I agree.
14 >
15 > I disagree because in some cases I really only want specific firmware
16 > for specific sets of hardware (especially where space constraints are an
17 > issue, read: embedded type systems).
18 >
19 > The current linux-firmware package is getting quite big in terms of install.
20
21 USE=savedconfig allows you to choose exactly which files to install :)