From: Josh Sled <jsled@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: jpeg upgrade news item
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:28:32
1 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> writes:
2 > I've been asked to write a news item for jpeg upgrade by few developers.
3 > Personally I don't see it's required, it's a default library upgrade,
4 > but here's my attempt:
5 […]
6 > to libjpeg.so.7. This will break temporarily a lot of packages,
7 > including environments like Gnome, Xfce4 or KDE. You will need to run
8 > revdep-rebuild from gentoolkit package.
9
10 FWIW, I appreciate notices like this. As an end user, I only know that
11 I'll need to build the ~dozen or so packages `emerge -pvuD world` lets
12 me know about. Anything that lets me know that I need to allocate time
13 for (and factor in the risk of) rebuilding all of, say, GNOME is good.
14 I don't know that GLEP 42 items are the most appropriate way of doing
15 this, but they seem to be the best way, at present.
16
17 Similarly for updates where there's any sort of upgrade guide or manual
18 process required (e.g., TeX live, Gnome 2.22, GCC, &c.), as there's no
19 indication from emerge output that such a guide exists.
22 > Display-If-Installed: media-libs/jpeg
23
24 "<media-libs/jpeg-7", perhaps?
27 ...jsled
28 http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}