From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Handling multiple packages providing the same convenience symlink
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:47:23
1 Say we have a group of packages. For the sake of argument, we'll call
2 them 'vim', 'nvi', 'elvis' and 'vi'. Each of these packages provides a
3 binary with the same name as the package. So far no problem...
4
5 Now let's say that each of these packages were clones or derivatives of
6 a traditional unix package, which provided binaries named 'vi', 'view'
7 and 'ex'. A user installing any one of these packages would expect to be
8 given convenience symlinks which would allow them to access the packages
9 via the traditional names. Suddenly we have a problem -- what if a user
10 has more than one of these packages installed?
11
12 Oh, and to make it even more fun we'll say that certain non-Linux
13 systems already provide a binary with the traditional name...
14
15 One way to go about it would be to introduce blocks. This is pretty
16 stupid though -- the only conflict is a measly symlink. So... Some
17 genius please provide a suggested way to handle this kind of situation
18 that doesn't involve any of the following:
19
20 * hard coding knowledge of all the packages in a group into every single
21 ebuild in a group
22 * hard coding lots of lists into a single eclass
23 * making one eclass per group of packages affected by this issue
24
25 For reference, you might want to look at the existing code in vim.eclass
26 for updating symlinks. Note that it's really ugly and doesn't honour
27 ${ROOT} like it should. There's also alternatives.eclass but that only
28 seems to handle SLOTted packages.
31 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
32 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
33 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm