From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why autoconf in system?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:44:55
1 On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 14:26 +0200, Frank Schafer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > we meet often the (faulty) notion that autoconf/automake (even a couple
5 > of versions on gentoo) is a dependency for packages.
6 >
7 > This is true only for development of these packages itself.
8 > Autoconf/automake provides tools to GENERATE configure scripts. Both are
9 > totally unnecessary to build a package or run the programs it provides.
10 > I've built a full featured LFS system not long ago without even
11 > autoconf/automake installed.
12 >
13 > I'd suggest to remove the build of autoconf/automake from ``emerge
14 > system''. I'd leave all of the autoconf/automake versions in portage
15 > tough for the case someone wants to involve in development of some
16 > package.
19 While this is true, you missed the fact that many packages from time to
20 time apply patches that touches configure.{ac,in}, or Makefile.am, or
21 just do not come tarballed with configure, etc generated, so it is
22 indeed needed.
26 Martin Schlemmer