From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, Francisco Gimeno <kikov@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newbie advice
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:01:23
1 On Thursday 13 June 2002 10:02 am, Francisco Gimeno wrote:
2 > > What do you think the odds are a linux newbie can successfully install
3 > > and configure gentoo? I have an old machine I am considering playing
4 > > around with but, some reveiws on the net I have read say my chances of
5 > > succeeding are horrible. What is your opinion?
6 >
7 > umm, what proccessor do you have?
8 >
9 > Do you know how many time is compiling a full system?
10 >
11 > About newbie or not... the install doc is marvellous... if you have some
12 > experience with linux, you won't have any problem.
13
14 I agree. If you don't mind reading the instructions and getting your hands
15 dirty, you'll do fine even as a newbie.
16
17 When I was a newbie the Linux kernel was at 0.48e or something, there weren't
18 any distros out yet (though I think slackware was forming), and to use SCSI
19 you had to hex edit a couple of bytes in the kernel.
20
21 All of which was much harder than installing Gentoo, so if you enjoy doing
22 things by hand and don't mind going out for a cup of coffee while big
23 packages compile, you'll have a great time and learn a lot.
24
25 Jean.