From: Adam Porich <adam@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentoo approach)"
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:46:58
1 On 13 Aug 2003 15:38:21 +0200
2 Philippe Lafoucrière <lafou@×××××××.fr> wrote:
3
4 > here is an article comparing debian / mandrake / gentoo speed :
5 >
6 > http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=227&page=1http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=227&page=1
9 I'm sorry to mention this again but the speed of a distribution is more than what benchmarks can show, I have seen a few benchmarks come out in the past few days that say that gentoo performace is less than satisfactory. But, I can say that having used my gentoo desktop for some time, and having used many others. I consider my gentoo desktop to be much faster and more responsive than others. The point is how fast a desktop is, is often a personal measure and not an easily quantifiable measure.
10
11 P.S. The init scripts and other built-in scripts are so much better that I don't care about performace under gentoo anyway.
15 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list