From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] slots and libraries.
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:57:29
1 On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 17:27 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > While this also does not stand any chance to win a beauty contest, this
3 > would also be acceptable to me. The only thing I want is things not
4 > starting to fail without a good reason. A new version of a library is on
5 > itself not a good enough reason.
6
7 It is just a matter of fact that a few upstream authors don't really get
8 libtool versioning right, but to say a new .so nr. means a new slot
9 version is wrong. Packages should only be slotted if every single bit of
10 them is versioned, check glib, gtkhtml, etc.
11
12 The proper course of action is making upstream aware of how they should
13 do libtool versioning. Adding workarounds like preserve_old_lib* should
14 only be a temporary measure.
15
16 - foser