From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Devconference archives
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:18:09
1 Corey Shields wrote:
2 > PS - For those who are emailing me about using the Real Media codec.
3
4 Just for the record, i didn't, but the topic raises some questions for
5 me. Really really not intended as a flamebait to raise a debate on
6 principles. Just asking.
7
8 > Yes, I realize it is a "proprietary" format, but it is one that we as
9 > a distribution support, so if you wish to protest the webcast it is
10 > your loss.
11
12 Support in the terms of decoding but also encoding? I could only find
13 decoders - and only for x86 and amd64 (media-video/realplayer).
14
15 > When I sent a call for help with this conference, IU offered their
16 > services. Nobody else did, and despite that nobody else could handle
17 > the capacity that they could. If it is offensive to people to do it
18 > in real, we will skip the webcasting next time.
19
20 That's very nice from IU for sure and especially if there are not many
21 (read: one) options to choose from the outcome is pretty obvious.
22 However, i'm not sure what our Social Contract says about it. It seems
23 to deal with the operating system itself, but there seem to be no
24 implications about anything else. So in theory we could host the whole
25 www.gentoo.org stuff on IIS servers?
26
27 cheers,
28 Wernfried
29
30 PS: I think my first reply was eaten due to some address mismatch, if
31 you get it later, please disregard & sorry.
34 Wernfried Haas (amne)
35 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
36 Contact the forums team: IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode or
37 forum-mods at gentoo dot org
38 --
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list