From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:25:38
1 On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:01 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:04:54AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 >> > This is still too vague for me. If it's expected to be short-term, then
6 >> > it can as well just land in ~arch.
7 >>
8 >> A package that hasn't been tested AT ALL doesn't belong in ~arch.
9 >> Suppose the maintainer is unable to test some aspect of the package,
10 >> or any aspect of the package? Do we want it to break completely for
11 >> ~arch? In that event, nobody will run ~arch for that package, and
12 >> then it still isn't getting tested.
13 >
14 > I'm not saying that we should just randomly throw something into ~arch
15 > without testing it, but ~arch users are running ~arch with the
16 > understanding that their systems will break from time to time and they
17 > are expected to be able to deal with it when/if it happens. ~arch is
18 > not a second stable branch.
19
20 Agree 100%. I'm taking about masking things that HAVEN'T BEEN TESTED
21 AT ALL. The maintainer knows that they compile, and that is it. Or
22 maybe they tested it in a very limited set of circumstances but know
23 that other untested circumstances are important to the users and they
24 have definite plans to get them tested.
25
26 > In particular, I would argue that for system-critical packages, users
27 > should be very careful about running ~arch unless they know what the
28 > fallout can be.
29
30 I agree. I think ~arch should break far more often than it does
31 today. However, I wouldn't extend that to sticking stuff in ~arch
32 that hasn't even been executed. If it is THAT unstable then nobody
33 will want to run it, and that defeats the goal of having more testing.
34
35 > Take a look at profiles/package.mask. You will see many packages in
36 > there with the description, "masked for testing" on their masks, with no
37 > bug references, that have been there for multiple years. My view is we
38 > should either get those masks resolved or boot the affected
39 > packages/versions out of the tree. If they haven't received rudimentary
40 > testing by now, it is pretty obvious that no one cares about them.
41
42 Are they even maintained?
43
44 If not maintained, then leave them alone until treecleaned. If they
45 are maintained, then I'd be interested in hearing from maintainers as
46 to what they're up to. I wouldn't just remove the mask unless
47 somebody is actually going to co-maintain. The issue of absentee
48 maintainers is a different one than masks, though obsolete masks is a
49 symptom of it just like obsolete ebuilds are.
50
51 Rich