From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package version in case of upstream patches from stable branch of development
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:43:28
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 04-08-2010 07:56, Peter Volkov wrote:
5 > В Втр, 03/08/2010 в 22:17 +0300, Petteri Räty пишет:
6 >> On 08/03/2010 03:03 PM, Peter Volkov wrote:
7 >>> Bug 330667 requests _p or _pre. I feel that _p|_pre versions
8 >>> should be left for VCS (read development) versions of the
9 >>> package, while during backports we have the best version with
10 >>> all important upstream+gentoo fixes available to the moment and
11 >>> I'd better avoid to call it development.
12 >>
13 >> If you read the bug you will see that our python has essentially
14 >> been development versions so _p is in line with what you say
15 >> above.
16 >
17 > Quotation from the bug:
18 >
19 > "gentoo's 3.1.2 is _not_ 3.1.2, it's a pre of 3.1.3."
20 >
21 > Not taking into consideration that it is possible to name _p 3.1.2
22 > I would like to point that patches are from _stable_ branch as thus
23 > all users want them. This is not development version.
24
25 If you take KDE's team example, we provide ebuilds to track the stable
26 branch from upstream in our overlay. They're called <version>.9999.
27 It's true that our ebuild does use the live vcs, but in this case the
28 difference is that instead of the users using a live ebuild, they get
29 a snapshot of the tree done by our maintainer from time to time.
30 Trying to pretend these "snapshot" ebuilds are the release version is
31 very wrong and no one should assume they'll build fine. There are
32 already a few bugs that can be attributed to this.
33
34 >>> If we decide to go with _p or _pre could we agree on answers
35 >>> for the following questions: - Does single patch from
36 >>> upstream's VCS justify _p$(date|rev) version? What if this is
37 >>> _the only_ patch in the upstream's VCS?
38 >>
39 >> No if the patch is small and can be reasonably understood. If the
40 >> patch for example switches the used build system and I would
41 >> think _p is called for.
42 >
43 >>> - Now what about two patches? Three? N? When does few patches
44 >>> became pile?
45 >>
46 >> You should ask upstream to make a release when they start to pile
47 >> up.
48 >
49 > Yup, but since "patchset being pile" is a clause to change version,
50 > we should formally define what is a pile. 20kb unpacked? 10
51 > patches? Until this is done such decision is on maintainer's
52 > discretion, like maintainer told in comment #1.
53
54 The point here is that one thing is for a maintainer to pick specific
55 commits from the stable branch and back port them to fix some bugs,
56 another thing is to blindly fetch a snapshot of the stable branch.
57
58 >>> - What if I drop single patch from the upstream's patchset for
59 >>> stable branch, should we drop _pre _p version and add -rN?
60 >>
61 >> _p reflects upstream situation so dropping a patch from that is a
62 >> Gentoo modification there so it would be _p12323-r1.
63 >
64 > Rigorously speaking even dropping one patch makes it not to be
65 > _p12323 any more and we should version it somehow differently. How?
66 > Since ebuild is based on upstream's stable tarbal obvious solution
67 > is to use the tarbal's version.
68
69 It would be based on a release if it only applied specific patches to
70 fix known issues. The minute you start "tracking" a stable branch you
71 should stop calling it a release and 300kloc is not a "small" patch.
72
73 >>> - What if there are two dependent patches, and first one fixes
74 >>> indentation? Should we spend time on backporting second patch
75 >>> (time consuming and error prone process) or use both and live
76 >>> closer to upstream?
77 >>
78 >> I would leave this up to the maintainer. Depends on how much
79 >> time backporting takes.
80 >
81 > After reading your answers I don't understand why the bug is still
82 > opened and what it is about. Arfrever told that he fells that it's
83 > up to him how to version packages. And I agree with him in this
84 > exact case.
85
86 This is unfortunately the main issue here. You may work on a specific
87 package on Gentoo, but when that package is essential for the system
88 use / stability, it stops being just "your" package. This latest
89 example has lead users to a point where their PM stopped working.
90 Breaking the PM is not a small "oops" and doing it by continuously
91 breaking our policies or ignoring one doesn't work alone, is a very
92 serious offense.
93 Should the toolchain team start providing "testing" gcc or glibc
94 packages that have slight "oops" here and there that break systems?
95 What about the kernel team deciding to mark stable some kernel
96 versions with drivers that break hardware support without proper
97 testing? Or what about the PERL team deciding they only care about the
98 language and not the hundreds of packages that use it and start
99 pushing new versions the day they're released no matter how many
100 packages they break in the process?
101
102 - --
103 Regards,
104
105 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
106 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections