From: Silvio Fonseca <silvio.linux@×××××××.br>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Configurator
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:08:58
1 > > >1) I can do this? Since you're the developers I think I
2 > > >should ask first :-)
3 > >
4 > > to the distro. Also, they may already be working on
5 > > something that you could help with, so it is still good to
6 >
7 > Yes, that would be the most important issue :).
8 > Well, I cannot easily answer if anybody is doing what you intend to,
9 > because I did not completely understand what kind of configurator you are
10 > talking about:
11
12 I was a bit vague on my message, I know... :-) Anyway, I'll explain better to
13 see if anyone is doing the same thing so I can help or if anyone wants to
14 help me :-)
15
16 > 1. Do you want to create a gui configurator for make.conf (say to set USE
17 > flags, and other values)?
18 I was thinking in something more complete, but it involves the make.conf
19 configuration... If I understood right the make.globals should not be changed
20 from the original, right? Just setting the make.conf will do...
21 The other thing I was thinking is an ebuild info viewer (If there's already
22 something to configure make.conf I'll do this separated). There's things I
23 missed when I first tried Portage like how I know if will make any diference
24 if I set 'x' value in USE for 'y' program? I know each ebuild file has a test
25 to see if the value is setted or not, so the viewer program will read the
26 ebuild and show which USE values are used, which is currently setted on
27 system, the URL of the file, homepage, description, etc...
28
29 > Then the answer is - partially yes. Please take a look at bugs #2748 &
30 > #2846.
31 They look nice, but I'm not thinking in GUI with X/GTK but with ncurses, this
32 way, people without X can still configure Portage (on a server for
33 example...). Of course, if everything goes as I expect I may port it to X...
34 (PS: I really can't program anything in Python :-) )
35
36 >Please also take a look at the tools available in gentoolkit. You
37 > will probably want as well to do a search on bugs.gentoo.org for certain
38 > keywords that would make sence to you.
39
40 I looked at gentoolkit and I saw useflag, it has some features I'd like to
41 have on the make.conf configurator like descriptions of the USE flags... :-)
42 I'll make a more deep search on bugs.gentoo.org to see if I can find
43 anything...
44
45 > Do you want to create a gui wrapper for emerge?
46 No (not for now at least...)
47
48 > Generally, if you could formulate the concept of the tool you are looking
49 > into, that would help to identify related projects. Then you would probably
50 > want to post this description/proposal here *and* create a new bug
51 > describing what you intend to do and proposing your help.
52
53 Let's see :-) I want to make a tool that can configure all the aspects of
54 make.conf (like CHOST, CFLAGS, USE, etc) and give the user package
55 information (what packages are installed, what USE flags are used in the
56 ebuild and things like that, I'm accepting features requests to implement as
57 soon as I get this things working)
58 I'll fill a bug report as soon as I get something (barely) working...
59
60 > Also, for a real-time chat with core devs you can always get us on channel
61 > #gentoo at irc.openprojects.net.
62 I went there a few times (almost every evening :-) )
63
64 If anyone have more comments I'll be very glad to discuss it :-)
65
66 Silvio Fonseca
67 LinuxLab - Mackenzie University - Brazil