From: Ambroz Bizjak <ambrop7@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: minimalistic emerge
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 12:16:11
1 Hey all.
2
3 Regarding updates breaking the system, NixOS might be worth a try.
4 The functional nature of the package manager there lets you try out an
5 update, either live or in a VM, as well as roll back to the old
6 configuration in case of problems. Due to the design there's no risk
7 in building updates on a stable system, the build process won't
8 interfere until all the updates are built and you decide to try it out
9 in some way (other by exhausting RAM etc).
10 They also have both stable release branches and a master branch with
11 more updated packages.
12
13 (Not trying to start a distro war, please excuse me if it sounds like this.)
14
15 Best regards,
16 Ambroz
17