From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Submit project ideas NOW for Google Summer of Code 2012
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:16:01
1 On 03/08/2012 02:28 AM, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > I am not a developer yet, but I would like to suggest some idea possibilities:
3 >
4 > Minix port of Gentoo
5 > Illumos port of Gentoo
6 > LLVM/Clang System Compiler Support
7 > ICC System Compiler Support (probably easier than LLVM/Clang)
8 > Port of Gentoo/FreeBSD to amd64 (or other architectures)
9 > Gentoo/FreeBSD KVM port (we don't have to let upstream have all of the fun)
10 > Gentoo Prefix --as-needed support on one or more architectures that
11 > currently lack it
12 > Gentoo Prefix Cygwin support
13 > Gentoo Prefix Minix support
14 We (Patrick and I) tried to get someone interested in an OpenBSD
15 (re)port of Gentoo, but students lots interest. Maksbotan got involved
16 but we soon hit deep snags. There were not something we couldn't
17 handle, but they were time consuming. For the hell of it, I started
18 porting Gentoo to minix a few days ago when 3.2.0 came out. Same story,
19 and as soon as the issues got deep, I asked myself, do I have time for
20 this?!
21
22 Then I asked, who would use this? I'm not sure about the OpenBSD port
23 but with Minix there is some possibility because Minix is in need of
24 userland. *Shrug*
27 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
28 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
29 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
31 GnuPG ID : D0455535